If you love the outdoors and being in nature and want to support the environment, you can start a career looking after green spaces straightaway with a horticulture or landscaping apprenticeship. Not only will you be earning while doing what you love, you may have the opportunity to work with cutting-edge technologies and to have a positive impact on your local environment.
In this role you will develop core skills in grounds maintenance, as well as specialist skills in either horticulture or landscaping. You will maintain gardens, parks and other green spaces. You will be trained to use a variety of tools and machinery relevant to your role, and learn about topics such as biosecurity and biodiversity, in order to have a positive environmental impact.
Typical level 2 horticulture operative tasks include:
- growing a wide variety of plants and maintaining their health
- creating soft landscapes by planting trees, shrubs and grass
- growing flowering plants to create displays
- carrying out cultivation, pruning and turf care
After completion, you may move on to, level 3 horticulture or landscape supervisor apprenticeship.
Typical level 2 landscape construction operative tasks include:
- measuring sites and preparing them for construction
- building and maintaining paths, patios and decking
- repairing hard structures such as fences and walls
Apprenticeship duration: approx. 2 years
Salary expectations: starting salary can be up to £18k
Where could you work?
Operatives work in outdoor green spaces such as gardens and parks. These might be part of businesses, tourist attractions or private estates. You may work in a single outdoor space or across a variety of spaces in a local area.
"We’re keen to open up new routes to working at the National Trust. That’s why we’re continually growing the number and range of apprenticeships we offer, so that you can earn while you learn and take care of the special places and spaces that matter to you."
- Caroline Noon, Apprenticeship Manager, National Trust
Meet some apprentices
View the latest apprenticeship vacancies based on your interest and location with details of how to apply.